- President Nixon, 1974, “At the end of this decade, in the year 1980, the United States will not be dependent on any other country for the energy we need. We will hold our future in our hands alone.” Foreign oil 30%.
- President Ford, 1975, “First, we must reduce oil imports by 1 million barrels per day by the end of this year and by 2 million barrels per day by the end of 1977. Second, we must end vulnerability to economic disruption by foreign suppliers by 1985.” Foreign oil 35.8%
- President Carter, 1979, “This intolerable dependence on foreign oil threatens our economic independence and the very security of our Nation. The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our Nation. These are facts and we simply must face them.” Foreign oil 43.1%.
- President Reagan, 1981, “While conservation is worthy in itself, the best answer is to try to make us independent of outside sources to the greatest extent possible for our energy.” Foreign oil 33.6%.
- President Bush, 1992, “There is no security for the United States in further dependence on foreign oil.” Foreign oil 40.6%.
- President Clinton, 1995, “The nation’s growing reliance on imports of oil … threatens the nation’s security … [we] will continue efforts to … enhance domestic energy production.” Foreign oil 44.5%.
- President W. Bush, 2006, “Keeping America competitive requires affordable energy. Here we have a serious problem. America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world.” Foreign oil 59.9%.
- President Obama, 2010, “For decades we have known that the days of cheap and easily accessible oil were numbered….” Foreign oil 49.2%.
- President Trump, 2017, “”We will become, and stay, totally independent of any need to import energy from the OPEC cartel or any nations hostile to our interests.” Foreign oil 33%.
- President Biden, 2022, “Second, this crisis is a stark reminder: To protect our economy over the long term, we need to become energy independent. I’ve had numerous conversations over the last three months with our European friends of how they have to wean themselves off of Russia — Russian oil. It’s just not — it’s just not tenable. It should motivate us to accelerate the transition to clean energy.” Foreign oil 33%.
President Wilson monopolized communications networks. With The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1916 Congress and President Wilson monopolized transportation and institutionalized violations of the Constitution’s “post Roads” enumerated limit on Federal taxing powers.
In 1982, courts declared the Federal communications monopoly unconstitutional. With liberty to innovate and invest in free markets restored the long dormant technologies of the Internet commercialized to replace nearly a century of rotary telephones.
Calls to end foreign oil addiction by the last 10 Presidents is reinforced by:
- 21 Presidential veto messages enforcing the “post Roads” restriction, Divided Sovereignty of the Preamble as restated in Amendments 9 and 10 of the Bill of Right.
- Many state Constitution
- Because of Senator Henry Clay’s consistent efforts to violate the “post Roads” restriction, the Confederate States of America clarified the restriction in their version of the Commerce Clause, “To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes; but neither this, nor any other clause contained in the Constitution, shall ever be construed to delegate the power to Congress to appropriate money for any internal improvement intended to facilitate commerce;….”
- Dr. Hubbert, 1956 documentation of oil field geology that US Peak Oil would be in about 1970. Per capital oil in the US did peak in 1970. Foreign oil addiction and oil-wars grew since we did not adapt before 1970.
- AdmIral Rickover’ Energy Slave Speech 1957, “For it is an unpleasant fact that according to our best estimates, total fossil fuel reserves recoverable at not over twice today’s unit cost, are likely to run out at some time between the years 2000 and 2050.”
Eight Presidents declared dependence on imported oil a threat to national security.[/et_pb_text]