- Self-driving cars for last mile.
- JPods for urban networks. US Patent, 6,810,817:
- Grade-separated networks of self-driving cars: “A method of controlling a transportation System for moving people, freight, and any combination whereof using a distributed network of intelligent devices without requiring the aid of a human driver”
- Solar-powered mobility networks: “The method… providing… Solar and wind power generators integrated into the physical Structure of Said transportation System….”
- Hyperloops for connecting urban networks.
TEDx Atlanta: Link
10X Benefits of turning traffic costs into sustainable mobility networks
Speed of the change that is coming to digitize mobility:
Source: Congressional Study PB-244854, “Automated Guideway Transit”, 1975.
Finding: “institutional failures” within US DOT resuted in urgban transportation innovation being blocked for “four to six decades” in urban mobility except for “relatively minor cosmetic changes“. See page 41.
Recommendation: Allow Rights of Way access so networks such as Morgantown’s PRT can be built in US cities to solve traffic problems and the hardships of the 1973 Oil Embargo.
Tricia Nixon opened the first self-driving car network on Oct 24, 1972. She said it was “more fun than Disneyland.” The Federal highway monopoly has blocked further deployments of PRT in America since. That same highway policy caused the bankruptcy/abandonment of nearly half the freight railroads despite 400+ ton-miles per gallon efficiencies.
Summary of the Speed and Scale of the changes coming by digitizing mobility:
- Tony Seba Future of Transportation as a Service
- McKinsey, The second great inflection point in mobility
- Red Bull TV, JPods starts at 9:30 (2016) on the future of transportation (self-driving cars for off-network, JPods for urban networks, and Hyperloops for highspeed networks between cities)
- $500 million Hyperloop Certification Center in West Virginia Announcement
- Pirates and Patriots, such as Tesla, are purposefully violating existing laws to delivered 3 billion self-driving miles on roads and a 9X better safety record. An example of violating laws, operating a car without a licensed driver, no driver at all, Tesla’s promotional video on “Smart Summon”
- Praetor Capital 2021 estimate of PRT capital value of $31-58 billion.
- Pitchbook, “Q1 2021 Emerging Tech Research: Mobility Tech”
- Morgan Stanley: Why Waymo Is Worth A Staggering $175 Billion Even Before Launching Its Self-Driving Cars
- McKinsey and Company: ‘A physical version of the Internet’: How Hyperloop could be the broadband of transportation
- $28 billion was invested in mobility startups in 2017
- 40x ROI on Kiva’s $775 sale to Amazon
- Mar 5, 2020: Valued at $30bn, Waymo considers its next move “outside investors lined up this week to pour $2.25bn into Waymo”
- Transportation poised for wild ride over next decade